All About Art (Tips, Tricks, & What Not To Do)

An amazingly helpful guide to expressions by Samy!

Hello humans! I love art with a passion, all kinds of art, even the factions that I’m not very good at. If you don’t know anything about drawing, doodling, or composition of artwork, this post might help you out. I am a self-taught artist who has been drawing farther back than my memory can go, which means I know a couple things about traditional artwork. First, what is this ‘Traditional Art’ that I’m talking about? Traditional art is the types of art that are done on paper or canvas, instead of digitally. Many find digital art easier because of multiple layers for coloring, shading, and line art. With that in mind, some have the opinion that traditional art is better for the opposite reason, no monumental amounts of layers to keep track of and you don’t accidentally ‘delete’ a drawing on paper.

On to the tricks for a beginning artist. When you are starting as an artist, I really think people should start traditional. Having your first skills develop into muscle memory on paper is very important if you want to do digital. Speaking of skills, circles are your new best friend! If you really observe things around you, like a dog or person, you will find that most objects can have a base made of circles, like this dog base by Shilet on Deviantart, see if you can find some of the main shapes used. Another habit that you might get into is making joints and hair very rough and pointy, instead of sooth and soft like joints and hair are. unless what you’re drawing has hair gel in, hair is usually not perfectly straight with no body or soft volume. The last ad habit that you could possibly fall into is ‘The Other Eye’. The Other Eye is the one thing that plagues most younger and even seasoned traditional artists. It sounds very silly to not be able to draw something so simple as two great eyes, but it is very difficult. In this situation, circles are once again your friend, two tiny ones where either eye is going to be. A perfect place to find help with this is Online Drawing Lessons.

Now that that subject has been covered, we come to one of the most confusing or the simplest task in art, depending on the person. It is finding your personal art style. A great way to get started in art will almost always be finding a handful of artists ( from history or the internet ) who’s drawing style you admire. Maybe you like the cute way they draw the eyes on their characters, or how good they are at drawing cartoon people. Whatever it is, a great way to practice is to try drawing something that they have drawn, or try to replicate the specific things that you like in their drawings into yours. The one thing that I am NOT saying is to trace or draw exactly what this person you admire draws, as that hurts more than helping. You will probably find that one day you’ll look down at your drawings and say ‘Wow, I can tell my style distinctively from someone else’s!’, but don’t be discouraged if you don’t find you’re all at once. It took me about two years of drawing other people’s stuff and one of drawing on my own to find my style, and what did and didn’t work for me. Every artist has to start somewhere, and you have the potential to be amazing.

Thank you so much for reading, and have a snazzy day!

23 thoughts on “All About Art (Tips, Tricks, & What Not To Do)

1. Hi Maddie,
    I’m hmsmarim (Mari) and I have a cousin named Maddee also, but spelled differently. I love drawing to, but I feel like I could do better in my work. I like how you made a post just for art. I you would like to, check out my blog: https://hmsmarim.edublogs.org/
    That’s it!
    ~hmsmarim (Mari)

• Hi Mari!
      Thank you so much for reading my post and visiting my blog, but your blog is most certainly spectacular! Every post you have is so well structured and exciting. Also, maybe tell your cousin hi for me.
      Thank you,
      Maddie

2. Hi, Maddie!
    Whoa, this makes a whole lot easier for me. I just started learning animation, but still, I’m not a very good artist (yet anyway). Drawing is a really fun hobby for me and it’s been my passion too. Your post has been really helpful to me. You might say it LEAD me a hand by making this post straight to the POINT. Keep up the good work!
    If you want you can go here to my blog: http://hmsnatalie.edublogs.org/
    Thanks!
    ~Natalie 😁

• Hey Natalie!
      I’m so glad that you found this helpful, and I think it’s even more amazing that you’re starting to animate. I’ve wanted to try animating for a while but I’m much better at procrastinating that animating it seems. I know that you will get better and better at art with practice, and thanks for the puns! Keep drawing!
      Sincerely,
      Maddie

3. Hi Maddie,
    I am hmsshayla! I also really like to draw too! I really like how orginaized you post was and I also like that you put pictures in your blog too. These tips are very useful.
    You can also check out my blog if you want to: http://hmsshayla.edublogs.org/

That is all for now,
    hmsshayla

• Hi Jennifer!
      I’m definatly so glad I could give you tips for drawing, and it always makes my day when I help someone with something I know how to do. As for your time problem, I happen to be someone who can listen to the teacher and doodle a bit (a lot!) at the same time, but shhhhhh don’t tell your teachers!
      Wish you luck!
      Maddie

• Hi Maddie,
        Thanks for the tip! Ill keep that in mind and try to find more time to draw and try to improve my skills.
        ~Jenn

4. Hi Maddie,
    Thanks for the drawing tips. I like how in the post each step of making a drawing is seperated and explained in detail. Althogh I don’t draw that much other than in my note books durring class, these tips will really help me.
    Thanks,
    Logan

• Hi Logan!
      Definitely keep drawing in notebooks or whatever you can get your hands on, and you will definitely see an improvement. I’m really glad I could help you a bit, what do you like to draw?
      Thank you,
      Maddie

5. Hi
    it’s hmsleilani and i love the way you draw. i take art classes on Saturdays so it helps me draw a bit better.

6. Hey Maddie,
    These are very helpful tips. I can promise you that I will use this. I’m not the best drawer but I can definitely become better because of this post you showed everyone. How did you become so good at art? Please come check out my blog!http://hmstani.edublogs.org
    Thanks,
    Tani

• Hi Tani!
      Thank you for reading, and for saying that you’ll keep practicing. I like to think that I had a long, hard journey to get to where I am, but in all honesty I think I only got better because I was always convinced that my drawings were amazing. As far back as I can remember, I would look at a drawing from whatever small grade I was in (they were really bad, trust me I found them.) and think to myself, “What an amazing peice of artwork that I have created with no flaws whatsoever!”. All that I can say is that believing in your abilities instead of putting yourself down is the best way to start getting better.
      Thank you,
      Maddie

7. Hello Maddie,
    Thanks for the amazing tips! I enjoy drawing so this helped me a lot. Keep up the good work!
    Bye.
    Kyla~

8. Hi Maddie,
    I can’t draw to save my life but I’ve been wanting to get better for a long time. Thank you for these tips! Check out my blog at hmsedublogs.org/hmsisabella

~ Isabella

9. Hi Maddie,
    WOW!!!
    I will definitely use this method with my drawing.
    your information was so detailed!
    I love your post!
    kind regards,
    Eleni 🙂

10. Dear Maddie,
    This is amazing! I love drawing but this will help me a lot. The pictures could really support me in drawing and your provided information is quite detailed and helps me visualize what I could improve on and what it is. Thank you for the tips, I will use this when drawing expression-like postures.
    Bye!
    Sincerely,
    Chase